Sovereign Homepage:
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ www.darquehalo.com/sovereign ]

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Graphics cards

Go down 
+2
Katherinne
Galorne
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Galorne

Galorne

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Graphics cards Empty
PostSubject: Graphics cards   Graphics cards I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Alright, I was just wondering from any of you computer savvy people what AGP graphics card would be a good upgrade for Phel, she has a geforce 5500 gtx, and I haven't seen any of the graphics cards with as high numbers as the PCI like mine (I'm looking into getting a geforce 8800 GT for mine, as I'm running on-board video now Sad ) I've seen geforce 6200 and others like that for AGP, but I'm lost. If anyone has any suggestions on what would be an equivalent to the PCI geforce 8800, plz lemme know!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/phoenix66
Katherinne

Katherinne

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Graphics cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphics cards   Graphics cards I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 4:12 pm

Good luck finding AGP now.. they are out there but it's getting harder to find. I'm running a Nvidia 6600 right now and it does ok but not really great. Though I'm not a PC wizard, I am thinking my problem is the front side bus is too low and I'm bottlenecking.

The lack of parts is partly why I'm upgrading.. that and I just need a faster machine for WoW finally. My new card will be an Nvidia 9600GT 512M PCI.

Check out tomshardware.com, you can get a lot of good info there and comparisons.

You also don't say how much memory she has. I know when I added a gig to mine, it really helped. The 6600 card didn't make any real difference when I upgraded from my 4200. A cheaper option might be to try increasing RAM.
Back to top Go down
Ron

Ron

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Graphics cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphics cards   Graphics cards I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 4:14 pm

The graphics card will make things prettier, and help if she has lag in terms of going into Shattrath or IF or Org due to the masses of characters hanging out, but won't make general WoW run that much better. That's probably a RAM issue.
Back to top Go down
http://denofgeek.com
Galorne

Galorne

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Graphics cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphics cards   Graphics cards I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 6:39 pm

well, we both have that problem, but mainly when there's so many people and everything, she has 1GB ram and mine has 2GB but it still does it. Actually, I just got done ordering 2 new PSU's for us (500W, since our new cards require at least 450 and mine only has 300W, hers 250) a GeForce 7600 GS for her computer, and a GeForce 8800 GT for mine. Should be here in a few days, so finally no more lag on those 25 mans, lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/phoenix66
sunari

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Graphics cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphics cards   Graphics cards I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 10:23 am

AGP costs have went through the roof lately, you should just get a new mobo and get pcixpress
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/WhiskeyBendr
Ron

Ron

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Graphics cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphics cards   Graphics cards I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 11:01 pm

What kind of RAM, though?
Back to top Go down
http://denofgeek.com
pheledra

pheledra

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Graphics cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphics cards   Graphics cards I_icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 5:06 pm

Both of the new ones have 512, my old one only had 256. I'm not sure what his has but it was onboard so probably not much. And my comp has 1.5 gigs not 1...RAM should not be an issue. We won't know for sure until he gets the new ones installed, which will be tonight.
Back to top Go down
Gwydd

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Graphics cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphics cards   Graphics cards I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 8:30 pm

Galorne wrote:
Alright, I was just wondering from any of you computer savvy people what AGP graphics card would be a good upgrade for Phel, she has a geforce 5500 gtx, and I haven't seen any of the graphics cards with as high numbers as the PCI like mine (I'm looking into getting a geforce 8800 GT for mine, as I'm running on-board video now Sad ) I've seen geforce 6200 and others like that for AGP, but I'm lost. If anyone has any suggestions on what would be an equivalent to the PCI geforce 8800, plz lemme know!! Laughing

Hey G,

I just built a computer last weekend and the 8800 GT is sick. Any card with 7800 or 8800 is a good gaming card Nvidia wise. At least it should be. I have heard some negetive feedback on the 9600 vs the 8800. but thats beause the 9600 is a video card and not a gaming card. I picked up the EVGA(lifetime warrenty) geForce 8800 GT 512 for about $170. from Comp USA. Comp USA just got Bought out by Tiger Direct so the prices are Decent. Good luck and I highly recommend that Card.

as far as a GPU equivlant for 8800GT in AGP you wont find one. My suggestion is New mother Board 2.4ghz Quad core 1300Mhz FSB and the GeForce your getting for yours. Can't beat it. lotsa money though.
Im in the same boat as you but flipped around she has the nice one and mine is crappy, lol

P.S. Also keep in mind some 500W power supplies cant handle the 26Amps required by the GPU I'd take a look athe the box for the 6 pin 12v connection when you install it make sure it can handle the 26Amps.

Have fun affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Graphics cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Graphics cards   Graphics cards I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Graphics cards
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sovereign Homepage: :: General Topics :: Misc. Things-
Jump to: